The following is a compilation of scholarships, bursaries and awards that may assist students to finance their post-secondary education. This list is extensive but it may not include many scholarships, particularly from various colleges, universities and private companies. Students should use this as a beginning point to search out scholarships.
Student Loan applications can be handled online starting in early May. The Alexander Rutherford applications are also online and in order to receive funding, you must apply at least two months prior to your attendance at a post-secondary institution. For information on how to apply use this website: http://studentaid.alberta.ca/before-you-apply/. Students who have created an Apply Alberta login are encouraged to change their email address to your private email as your school address will disappear after June 2016. The same login password and email will be used to apply for your Rutherford Scholarship and Student Loan site so if you use one that is familiar to you, hopefully you will remember the password.
- Most scholarships are based on Grade 12 marks and are applied for in a student’s grade 12 year. There are, however, some exceptions to this rule, notably the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship (based on grades 10, 11, or 12) and many university scholarships.
- Most scholarships are based on academic achievement that usually means an average over 80% and often require extra curricular or community involvement.
- When completing applications, print clearly or have them typed. Completed applications should be proofread before sending.
- Complete all parts of the application. Follow all instructions including sending any requested documents.
- Complete all applications by the deadline. Late applications are generally disqualified.
- Scholarships are publicized in several ways: information posted on the high school bulletin board and through information in this booklet.
- If you have questions about scholarships, awards or loans, see a counselor early in the school year.
- Government of Alberta Scholarship Programs
- The Big List of Scholarships
SCHOOL SPECIFIC SITES
- University of Alberta
- Grant MacEwan
- Lakeland College
- Red Deer College
- Augustana College (Camrose)
DISABLED STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS
ADDITIONAL LOCAL, PROVINCIAL AND NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS
- "Accepted" - A Chance at $20,000 to Help Pay for School (CIBC)
- S.O.A.R. Scholarship (Wainwright and area school students)
- STEAM Horizon Award ($25,000)
- Terry Fox Humanitarian Award
- The Right Honourable Don Mazankowski Scholarship (application download link on right side of page)
- CRI Canada Learning Grant (Credit Union members only)
- I.O.D.E. Alberta Provincial CORONATION BURSARY
- The Society of Petroleum Engineers – Lloydminster Section Scholarship
- The Al Hamilton Scholarship Award (Edmonton Oilers)
- REMAX Quest for Excellence Bursary Program
- TD Scholarship for Community Leadership
- Masonic Bursary Fund
- List of individual scholarships (PDF) (Warning: some links may be outdated and not work.)
**ALMOST ALL POST-SECONDARY SCHOOLS HAVE THEIR OWN WEBSITE SECTION DEDICATED TO AVAILABLE SCHOLARSHIPS. PLEASE INVEST THE TIME TO DISCOVER WHAT IS AVAILABLE AT YOUR SCHOOL OF CHOICE!. **